Asper is an experimental synth combining wave table, subtractive, phase distortion and physical modeling for sound generation.
Idea was to add humanization to the sound on oscillator level in order to simulate behavior of real world instrument where each hit is different. It is not trying to simulate sound behavior like in analog synth, but rather to simulate Round Robin.
Instead of complex modulation I decided to split wavelet OSC to two layers that each has it’s own control. This way is you can easily control (for example) attack per velocity without assigning any modulation source. You can detune each layer, enable comb filter, enable pitch envelope or phase distortion to each layer individually. All blending control have individual shape setting for each layer or even inverse mode in order to have different amount or phase while using same MIDI CC or velocity.
- One wave table oscillator.
- 118 wave tables that can be combined in multiple ways.
- Comb filter for both wave table layers.
- Advanced amplitude adjustment with break point control for better control.
- Phase distortion for each wave table layer with 5 different shapes and it’s own detune.
- Mod section for Phase distortion with sync option.
- One noise sub synth.
- Round Robin simulation on oscillator level for both wave table and noise OSC.
- Set blending mode based on velocity or control with assignable MIDI CC.
- Ability to control shape for morphing, filter, FM amount starting from Exponential to Logarithmic.
- Filter with parallel or serial mode.
- Mod section for filter.
- Shaper, two modes.
- Portamento for mono with adjustable velocity level for triggering.
- Vibrato module.
- Interactive GUI with mouse over for each element that can be changed or adjusted.
- Each control that have assignable MIDI CC have additional display for assigned controller.
- All envelope controls have additional 6 quick sub presets to choose from.
- Ensemble module for for unison or even reverb like simulation.
- Simple soft clipper to prevent clipping that can be disabled.
- Randomization for almost each subsection.
- Simple preset manager.
- One page with adjustable GUI scale, 80 up to 150%.